Is A Life Jacket Necessary For Dogs?
Dogs are playful by nature. If you are an avid sailor and you go on a sail with your dog, there is a high chance that they can jump into the water. If your dog falls overboard, it will be a while before you can find ways to rescue them. Your dog may also have impaired swimming ability. Some breeds like Greyhounds have less body fat while others do not enjoy being anywhere near water. Such incidents may turn tragic. Have the appropriate safety gear if you are planning on hitting the water. They extend play sessions safely.
Features of the dog life jacket
It is important that you consider the features to get the best life jacket for your dog. Choose a jacket that is crafted from high-quality material and made to precision to ensure that it lasts longer. There is no standard design. Therefore it is your responsibility to pick a life jacket that best suits your dog. You do not want to purchase a jacket that stops working and loses buoyancy after a short while.
1. Easy to grab – a life jacket should have an easy-to-hold and sturdy grab handle in case of emergencies. If your dog is scared, they may not respond to your commands. Apart from saving your dog from life-threatening situations like drowning, the grab handle can also be used to guide your dog into and out of the water. The convenient handle is designed to make it easy for you to grab or hold your pooch quickly.
2. Reflective – dog life jackets are crafted with reflective fabrics or strips to be visible even in low light conditions. Do not worry when you stay out with your god at the beach past sunset. The reflective materials have bright colours that make it possible to keep your dog visible even at night.
3. High-quality material – dog life jackets should be made of rip-resistant high-density materials to hold up well in adverse weather conditions.
4. Adjustable and easy to put on – dog life jackets are designed to keep your dog comfortable and safe. For them to function correctly, the life jackets need to fit your pup. Let your dog swim freely in open water after you have adjusted the life jacket well.
5. Floatable – being floatable is the main reason why dog life jackets are essential. Most people just view these jackets like fashion accessories. Enhanced floatation minimizes fatigue. This feature also favors dogs that lack the natural reflex to swim in case of a maritime mishap like an accident or capsize. Strap your dog with a life jacket on their backs to increase their floatation in water.
6. Leash rings – strap rings are helpful in transitioning on and off shore.
Pros of having a dog life jacket
• Allow your dog to swim with ease.
• The reflective colours increase visibility.
• Grab handle is used to guide your pooch in and out water.
• Keeps your dog safe from drowning in the event of exhaustion.
Cons of having a dog life jacket
• Some dogs are not comfortable being fitted with life jackets.
Take a trip along the shore with your pooch and have virtually endless fun without any worries for safety by fitting them with a life jacket for dogs. Dogs love to spend most of their times outdoors. These times can be in or around water. Water play is a great way to perform low impact exercises which are healthy for you and your dog. That is why water safety is vital, especially for breeds that are not very buoyant or dogs that have medical conditions. A common misconception is that all dogs can swim. Whether it is a trip down to the lake or a quick dip in the swimming pool, be cautious of your dog’s safety in the water. Strapping your dog with a life jacket can be the difference between life and death. Some of the bestselling brands are Poppypet and Vivaglory. Visit our shop for great deals on dog life jackets.